DWP Head Office

DWP logo

The Department for Work and Pensions is the UK’s biggest public service department and is responsible for several different types of welfare, pensions, and the child maintenance policy. Being the largest government department in the United kingdom it owns four major organisations; the job centre (which is responsible for issuing Job Seeker’s Allowance, the Child Maintenance Service, the pensions service and the disability and carer’s service. The department was created in 2001 and their main aim is to increase financial independence and end child poverty.

DWP Connection Numbers

Department Number
Head Office 0844 375 3143
Job Seeker’s Allowance 0843 596 3259
Pensions Helpline 0843 596 3260
DWP Services 0843 596 3261
Complaints 0843 596 3262

By calling the above numbers, we can connect you to those DWP departments. All calls to this number cost 7 pence per minute, plus your telephone network access charge. Please note we are not associated with any of the companies listed on this website. We offer a call connection service.

Head Office 0844 375 3143

This is the number for the DWP Head Office, calling it will connect you to a member of the team. From here, you can discuss your query with them. This line is not the same as the complaints line, which can be found in the table above – further down on this page.

Job Seeker’s Allowance 0843 596 3259

Job Seeker’s Allowance is designed to support those that are looking for work, by providing financial help during the often stressful job hunting process. If you are eligible, you can submit an online application form and you will be contacted to arrange an interview by a member of staff at the job centre. The interview will simply be to outline what is going to happen when you begin receiving your Job Seeker’s Allowance as well as discussing a numbDWP Job Seeker's Allowance
er of options when it comes to your job search. Things like action plans will be created which are designed to help you find a job that suits you. You can check whether or not you are eligible for Job Seeker’s Allowance either on the Government website or by calling the head office contact number. Examples of some of the requirements for jobseeker’s eligibility include; being aged 18 or over, under state pension age, you’re not in full-time education and you are actively seeking work. Whilst you are in receipt of the Job Seeker’s Allowance you will need to show proof that you are spending a certain amount of hours a week searching for a job. If both you and your partner are out of work you can put in for a joint Job Seeker’s Allowance claim. For more information on how to do this, please call the DWP Head Office Contact number. If you were on Job Seeker’s Allowance and need to reclaim you will still need to go for an interview but the process will be significantly quicker than the first time. Please note that unless you have received JSA within the past 26 weeks you will be counted as a new claimant and will have to fill in the form again.

Pensions Helpline 0843 596 3260

One of the DWP’s main responsibilities is the operation of the pension scheme which you can begin to take advantage of once you turn to state pension age. The state pension age in the UK varies depending how old you currently are. The Government website has a state pension calculator which you can use to determine how old you will be when you reach state pension age and when you will be eligible for the benefits that come with it such as pension credit and free bus travel. it is important to find out at what age you will be eligible for pension credit as this is an income-related benefit that will top up your weekly income so that you are always guaranteed to receive the minimum. If you are claiming pension credit and are having difficulties receiving what you are owed, or if you think that you are of the right age and want to know how to go about claiming, please call the contact number. According to the facts, there about 4 million pensioners entitled to pension credit, yet one in three of those eligible are still not claiming.

DWP Services 0843 596 3261

Similarly to state pension eligibility, there is a child maintenance calculator available on the Government website which takes into consideration your circumstances and current financial situation to calculate how much child maintenance you are entitled to. The first step will be to work out income and the things that affect that income and you will either receive a flat or reduced rate. If you have other children that the child maintenance must go towards such as step children, this is also taken into consideration. Child maintenance comes into play following the divorce or separation of two parents. Usually, the adult who is not classed as the child’s main day to day carer will pay mainDWP Child maintenance servicetenance to the other parent for the child’s needs. This can be sorted between the parents themselves but if the two parents cannot come to an agreement then it is often settled using rates put together by the child maintenance service. If you are having problems coming to an agreement and would like some further information do not hesitate to call the DWP head office contact number and you can be connected to the right adviser.

If you are on a low income you could be eligible for housing benefit which will support you when it comes to making payments for things such as your rent. Again, this benefit is income subjective and you could receive funds to pay all of your rent or part of it depending on how much you and/or your partner earn. Unlike some benefits, housing benefit can be applied for whether you are working or not. To apply for housing benefit or to see if you are eligible for this type of financial support then please call the DWP on the head office contact number. Please note that housing benefit does not cover living costs such as hot water, electricity and food and so if you are struggling to pay for some of these things please call the contact number where you will be given advice on any other benefits you might be entitled to.

Universal Credit is the new type of benefit brought in by the DWP that is said to be in full swing by 2018. At the moment, the benefit is in transition for most claimants. The idea of Universal Credit is to roll all existing benefits into one monthly payment, which will be paid directly into the claimant’s bank account. So if you are claiming more than one type of benefit, you will be switched over to Universal Credit some time in the near future if you haven’t already. Job Seeker’s Allowance and Income Support Allowance is the main things that Universal Credit will replace. If you are concerned about receiving Universal Credit, or have started receiving it and are having difficulties, please call the contact number for help and advice. You can expect to wait six weeks after applying for Universal Credit to start receiving it.

Complaints 0843 596 3262

If you are unhappy with a service that has been provided by the DWP and would like to make an official complaint then you can call the head office contact number where your complaint will be resolved quickly. Alternatively, you can send a letter with details of your complaint to the head office address stated above. Reasons for your complaint might include; unreasonable delays, mistakes that were not your fault or the way you have been treated.